Monday, August 30, 2010

Plane Old Katie

Our family is relocating to Salt Lake City, Utah.  I've been offered a fantastic job and we're going to take it.  Today Marie, Katie and Isabel (the grandmother) boarded a plane for Utah.

Taking care of a five month old is tough.  Taking care of one at 30,000 feet for four hours is enough to scare the hardiest of folk.  But we are prepared!  Ok, we weren't.

It started with my alarm clock going off at 4:15 am.  Normally this would not scare me to death if it was at 5:30 am.  But there is something about the alarm clock going off that early that scares the wits out of me.  I jumped up and grabbed a shower hoping that I washed everything.  Zzzzzzzz.

We all loaded up in the car and for the most part nothing went wrong.  Parking was great.  So was ticketing.  Then came security and we blazed through it at record time.  Jesus was cutting me a break today.  Katie got on board the plane and was a doll the whole trip.  You can't ask for more.  Well, maybe you can.  You can ask for all FIVE pieces of luggage that you gave the agent back in Atlanta, instead of just four.  At least you can ask for the single most important piece to show up and just lose Daddy's stuff.

DELTA - Delivering Excuses Liberally To All

They lost the infant seat.  The infant seat is the baby bucket that you carry the child in and the device that fastens it to the car so that she's not the first thing to fly through the windshield when you crash.  It is VERY important, especially when you have a grumpy wife pointing her finger at you and yelling "so just what are we going to do now Mr. world traveler?"

Luckily Budget Rent a Car had one that we could rent for $13 per day.  The number 13 is NEVER a good number, so I paid him $14.  Marie and I sat on the concrete in the rental care pick up zone and tried to figure out how to work it.  Finally we just duct taped Katie to the seat and left it at that.

By this time the mommy was quite hungry (read ANGRY) and was pissing me off so we stopped at Fuddruckers for a designer burger.  Two of the three designer burgers went back to the kitchen with a thousand apologies from Senior Manager.  Takes a lot to screw up a burger so bad that you send it back.

Did Scott sent his burger back?  Well, he should.  But the baby had puked on his shirt while on the plane and then grabbed his soda and dumped it on him at the restaurant.  I was cold and hungry and just didn't feel like fighting.  So I ate probably the worst burger I've ever eaten.

The rest of the day went smooth.  We left Izzie with the baby and drove all over Utah.  It is a wonderful place and the mountains are fantastic.  Marie directed me to neighborhoods and we took in the sites.  Neither of us can wait to look at houses tomorrow.

Katie was getting hungry, so we went back to the hotel and fed the baby.  I found out that the model train store was only two miles a way and snuck out a window with the van keys.  The damage was $55 and I made a new friend of the manager.  Nothing like my best buddy Mike, but I'll take what I can get.

It's getting dark and Marie and her mom have left to go get dinner.  They'll bring me back something later, so I'll just sit hear and stare at my precious daughter sleeping soundly.

Good night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment