Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer Vacation - Day 4 - Look For the Bear Necessities

An Old Mountain Black Bear

Happy Birthday to Me!  I'm 46 years old today.  After hiking yesterday I feel like 56.  The last time I did the Laurel Falls trail I hiked it starting from Ski Mountain, which makes it 13 miles with most of it up hill except for the last two going from the falls to the road.  I did it with a 22 pound back pack and wasn't even tired.  I've got to go to the gym.

My daughter jumped up into my lap proudly waving a birthday card with DADDY on the envelope, carefully written in her own scribble.  She was so happy!  Her hug and watching her blow out my candles was the best birthday present every.

My wife gave me a card that, like always, insinuated getting sex, yet wound up promising that for the next 24 hours that I could be right.  I bet her the $100 that my mother gave me in her card that she wouldn't honor it.  As predicted, she was telling me that I was wrong in less than five hours.  Would have rather had the sex, frankly.  I didn't even get the extra $100. 

Luke and Laura gave me a fantastic present!  They will baby sit for us while Marie and I go out.  What a great gift!  Marie loves to go to movies and so do I so we'll use this one up soon.  I also get to go over and pick out a train item from Luke's basement which will be great fun.  I wonder if it is too early to start drinking Izzy's present?

We left after a light breakfast to go to town.  We are going to see Ripley's Aquarium.  It is a very nice aquarium and frankly I think it is better than the one in Atlanta.  Mimi and Izzy drove together and showed us where to park.  We packed up the baby in the stroller and made sure Taylor looked both ways before crossing the busy street.

Little Katie demanded to be held upright so that she could see all the fish and she was fascinated with them.  Taylor zoomed from exhibit to exhibit and back again.  The grandmothers and Marie tried their best to keep an eye on Taylor while I toted the baby.

When we were done we realized that it was pouring down rain outside.  Mimi got a poncho in the gift shop and we both ran to the cars.  While soaking I sat in the steamy car and waited my turn to exit.  We picked up the rest of the family on the street and drove to Bennett's Bar-B-Q on the south end of town.  Marie and I spent a lot of time their when we first met on just such a rainy day over seven years ago.

Since the rain was plentiful we decided to go back to the cabin and take naps.  Instead Laura started teaching Taylor how to play pool on the fancy pool table down stairs.  Luke and I played a few games and then Marie joined us for doubles.  While playing someone shouted "Bear!  I see a bear!"  The whole cabin emptied out to the front window.  I grabbed my camera and took several shots but the cold camera (from the air conditioning) hit the moist air and fogged up the lens. The photo above is Izzy's.

After having a few drinks and enjoying the view I told the family that I didn't really want to drive back to town to go to Calhoun's for a birthday dinner.  It would be a very late night and not good for the children.  I suggested that we go to the store and buy rib eye steaks and cook at home.  The vote was unanimous.

Katie likes to giggle so we all took turns making her laugh.  It is so contagious that the whole room will wind up laughing.

Later, Luke and I grilled the steaks while the grandma's made baked potatoes and zucchini.  The steaks were excellent and I was quite full after dinner.  Luke and I sat on the porch with Taylor and watched the sun set.  In the evening we sat around and chatted and just relaxed.  This was my kind of evening.

I can't think of a better birthday than one spent with family and friends.












No comments:

Post a Comment