Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer Vacation - Day 2 - Babies and Baby Ducks

 Taylor (5) and Katie (4 months) Ready for Bedtime

Waking up in the cabin is easy.  The sun burns through the un-curtained windows in a bright screaming "get the heck up and go play before it gets too hot" kind of mood.  Marie had piled six pillows on her head in order to get a few more minutes of sleep.  Luckily the baby was still snoozing at 6:42 am.  I poured cold water on her feet.  Mountain water.  Brrrr.

Our first chore was to go to the store.  We made a list and I shoved it in my pocket.  Mimi wanted to lubricate all the squeaky door hinges so we added WD-40 to the list.  I've made millions of cans of WD-40 and it always seems strange to me to buy it.

Marie, Taylor, Izzy and myself went to town while Mimi watched the baby.  We watched the baby ducks in the stream and walked around town a bit.  We took Izzy to the Arrowmont store and looked at the crafts.  Taylor wanted to go home so we left.

Next we all went to the grocery store and bought some necessities and lunch items.   They didn't have a skillet or WD-40, so we had to stop by the Ace Hardware for those items.

After a good lunch of grilled hamburgers I fell asleep.  I don't realize how tired I am until I get to the mountains and then all I want to do is sleep.  With the exception of getting up for water I slept all afternoon.

Luke and Laura Shyster (not their real names) showed up later in the afternoon.  With the exception of a counseling session by a State Trooper, they made the trip in their sports car without issue.  They drove over the river road from Townsend.  Luke needed a beer so we headed back to the store to get some.

Later in the day we got hungry again.  Denette made a fantastic beef stew that caused me to have three helpings.  We finished our meal with a generous helping of Denette's double chocolate fudge birthday cake that she made for me.   Taylor helped me blow out the forty six candles before the smoke alarm activated.  My birthday is not until Saturday, but we wanted to dig into the cake soon so that it would be gone before we left.

The grandma's were a big help in getting the kids to bed.  Taylor insisted on sleeping with Izzy and did so every night.  After they were asleep we opened up the bar.  Fuzzy navels, beer and Bourbon were handed around.  Luke and I sat on the back porch watching other cabin folk in their hot tubs while Denette taught Izzy, Laura and Marie how to play a new card game.  I'm not sure they were having fun because they started communicating with their middle fingers.

I got dizzy and went to bed.










No comments:

Post a Comment