Friday, March 26, 2010

Zelma Adeline?

Countdown to Delivery: 23 days
Due date: 4/18/10

Some folks have asked us about the baby's name.  That is always a hard thing.  For Taylor it was an eight month argument.  This time it has been a bit more civil, though I do think my Cheerios tasted unusual last Saturday.

The first fight usually starts around family names.  I was quite excited to announce the baby would be Zelma Adeline after my great grandmother.  The ice tea glass crashed against the wall just to the left of my right ear.  Stitches come out Wednesday.

So Marie is not up for family names.  How about something a little more daring, though not quite as bold as Moon Unit Zappa.  Chloe Abigail.  Oh, she barfed all over that one.

Marie reminded me of my dream.  Years ago before Taylor was born I had a dream that I was taking my daughter somewhere.  She was a pretty little thing with dark, thick brown hair and big brown eyes like her mother.  Repeatedly I called her Amanda.  Well, I wanted to call Taylor by that name, but Marie wouldn't hear of it.  Apparently she knew someone in the past named Amanda and it made her milk curdle.

Needless to say Taylor is almost blonde with green eyes like mine, so it wasn't her.  So this little girl might be our Amanda and I've called her that from the start.  But I like the name Katherine, as does Marie and we've been calling her Amanda Katherine. 

Katherine is a great name because you can call her Kate, Kathy or Katie.  I got to liking Katie and have started getting attached to that.  My mom had a cow.  That is not an uncommon thing as she has cows quite often.  But this one was a Holstein.  Big Holstein.  Horns and all.  Major cow.  The reason is that apparently folks called her all kinds of knicknames, which is to be considered here. 

But I'm VERY reluctant to listen to my mom's advice on naming, though I usually listen to her for everything else as she's a smart lady.  But naming is NOT her strong suit.  Just ask my brother Wier.  Double u, i, e, r.  Wier.  Poor guy.  He's been abused for that for as long as I remember.  I would have changed it.  I like Nick much better for him.  He looks like a Nick.  Has big forearms like a Nick.  Even a goatee like a Nick.  I've seen him called Wire, Ware, Wear, WEE-er and a host of other contortions.

Nope.  Mom is OUT on baby naming.

But recently I've been listening to me say the word Amanda.  For some reason its not sticking any more and I really like Katie.  So Marie and I settled on Katie.  Yes, Marie has a vote.  She can veto anything and almost always does. 

But it is decided.  She is Katherine Elizabeth Perry.

At least until I sign the papers...

Now if my wife had given my a BOY like I asked for...why he'd be Donald Eugene Talmage Oxnard Perry the IV.  I love family names!

No comments:

Post a Comment