Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Getting Ready – Getting Scared

Countdown to Delivery: 17 days
Due date: 4/18/10

Babies are scary little things.  I’m absolutely terrified.  What if something happens to Marie?  Or the Baby?  Or Taylor while I’m not at home?  Or to Winston?  Forget Winston…Mr. Barky Barky’s life is on a short leash these days.

The panic level usually cranks up about (wait for it…) now!  It hit me today while I was working through lunch.  It was the same panic I felt last time we had a kid.  I couldn’t finish my sandwich.

I don’t know that the women understand this about their men.  We’d never tell them of course because that would require and intimate conversation and frankly I’d rather have my throat cut.  But if I was to have one the first thing that I would tell Sweet Marie is that I’m scared for her.  It is so dangerous.

I know, I know…people have babies every day.  They also get cancer, have car wrecks and get audited by the IRS.  This one is breach which is even more scary.  Seldom do I drink but I could use a good Scotch on the Scotch today.  Maybe a double.

To describe it let me give you some examples:

  • Bar room fight with a guy six inches taller than me.  No fear
  • Driving a motorcycle at 125 miles per hour on the high way.  No fear.
  • Jumping out of an airplane.  No fear
  • Marriage.  A little fear.
  • Lost in an Amazon jungle with a knife, water bottle and a handful of M&M’s.  A lot of fear.
  • Babies.  Absolute terror

That is how us guys look at it.  I’m sweating just writing this.  So much can go wrong.  Then there is all the other stuff.  Will a car give out?  Will we have enough money?  Will the baby be sick?  Will my mother in law camp out for a month?  Will my pick for the final four not make it?  So much to worry over.

So I’m just going to stop.  Not worry at all.  Marie doesn’t.  She doesn’t like to feel well but she takes things as they come and never seems to get concerned.  I like that about her.  Or maybe it’s just to keep me from worrying.

Wish it was over. 

Oh, the M&M’s in the jungle?  The killer ants love them!  You don’t want them in your pack!


No comments:

Post a Comment